What is the European Energy Trophy?
The European Energy Trophy is an energy saving competition between 50+ companies from: France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Poland and the United Kingdom. Each participant aims to save as much energy as possible in one office building in one year using cost-free measures only (i.e. behavioural changes such as turning off lights, turning down the heating etc. no investments in new equipment or energy saving light bulbs etc.).
What are the prizes?
There will be prizes for:
1. highest percentage of energy saved EU wide
(Gold: 10 000, Silver: 5 000, Bronze: 2 500)
2. highest percentage of energy saved nationally ( 5 000 per country)
3. best in-house publicity campaign / employee motivation campaign:
The winners will receive the prizes at a large prize gala at the end of the competition. The gala will take in Brussels with the attendance of representatives of the European Commission.
In addition to possibly carrying home a great prize, your company will:
· save money studies suggest electricity and heating bills drop by an average of 10-15%
· raise employee motivation
· receive positive publicity information will go to the national and specialist press about the competition, its participants, amount of energy saved etc.
· receive an energy evaluation at the end of the year, you will receive a detailed evaluation of the energy saved in your offices, with savings made per month, per employee etc.
· benefit from the support and advice of the competition bureau throughout the competition.
Who can participate?
Any company with a separate office building in one of the six participating countries! Energy consumption of the area must be readily measured and documented with e.g. an electricity bill or other proof. In addition, no major renovation or thermo-modernisation work should take place in the building during the year of the competition.
Participation in the competition is free. Please register your interest before August 27th 2004.
Administration of the competition
The competition will be administered by a competition bureau which will provide e.g. registration forms, instructions for participants, an online tool to calculate the energy savings made etc. The competition bureau will also regularly inform the press and interested organisations about the progress of the competition.
The administration of the competition is funded through the SAVE II programme of the European Union. The European Energy Trophy competition will be launched in September 2004.
Please note that this information has expired.